Water pipe installation in the home is comprised of a vast network of pipes that work together to ensure the plumbing system is functioning properly. Right from bringing in hot or cold water to removing waste water from the home, these pipes set the ground for a smooth operating plumbing system.
There are different types of water pipes used in water pipe installation including the following:
Some older homes may still have galvanised pipes serving them. These pipes were common in the fifties and sixties but are no longer used because of the likelihood of material to react with certain minerals in water leading to corrosion and shortened lifespan of the pipe. You may also notice a brown colour in the water when older galvanised pipes are in place.
If your home features galvanised water pipe installation, you can contact a professional plumber to have them replaced with pipes made from better materials.
Cast Iron Pipes
These types are not commonly used but can be found in apartment buildings or large homes, mostly for their good acoustic properties.
Copper contains antibacterial properties and is an excellent choice for drinking water pipes. Copper pipes have been used in Australian homes for many years since copper is corrosion resistant and defies age. However, poorly installed copper pipes can reverberate creating a “water hammer” sound effect.
Plastic pipes can be in the form of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), Chlorinated Polyvinyl chloride (CPVC) or PEX (Cross-linked Polyethylene) and PB (Polybutylene). More and more people use plastic for all their water pipe installation needs.
- PVC pipes are mostly used to carry wastewater from sinks, outlets, and sinks and to the main sewer drainage system. It can also be used for delivering rainwater to a rainwater tank from the roof.
- CPVC is perfect for hot and cold water pipes. It also works well for sprinkler systems.
- PEX and PB carry cold and hot water and are mostly used for interior plumbing purposes.
Composite pipes are another form of plastic pipes made up of layers of different materials such as high-density polyethylene and aluminium. These pipes are mostly used for gas reticulation.
The water pipe installation process is customised to each client’s needs based on location, access, budget and materials used.
RPG Plumbing is a member of the Master Plumbers Association and the Queensland Gas Association committed to professionally serving all of North Brisbane. Our wide range of services includes:
- All forms of water pipe installation
- Installation of plumbing systems throughout the home and in commercial spaces
- Installation of hot water systems
- Installation of water-efficient taps and showerheads
- Installation of rainwater tanks
- Installation of gas system and gas appliance including repairs
- Gas leak detection and repair
- Burst pipes repairs and replacement
- Unblocking drains and drain cleaning
- Leaking taps, showerheads and toilets
- Industrial plumbing services
- Industrial gas services