The incessant dripping of water from a faulty tap can send you spare and looking for advice on how to fix a leaking tap.
Leaky taps are normally easy to fix and should be taken care of before they turn into greater problems. Apart from the incessant noise that has the capacity to drive you up the wall, the continual dripping of water results in wasting a lot of water and increased water charges.
Causes of a leaking tap
It is important to know the cause of the leak before embarking on the process of how to fix a leaking tap. This ensures that the problem is fixed at the core and not superficially. Some of the causes of a leaky tap include:
- Worn out fixtures or old fixtures
- Corrosion or rusting of pipes
- Water hammer failure
- Collapsed pipes or interference from tree roots leading to cracking.
Fixing a simple leaky tap
Here are some tips on how to fix a leaking tap, but they do require some basic knowledge of plumbing equipment and techniques:
- Assemble all the tools needed for the job i.e. spanners (tap spanner), new tap valve, o’ring and body washer
- Start by shutting off the mains water supply then get rid of excess water in the pipes by turning on the tap.
- With your toolkit handy, unscrew the tap button or the grub screws and remove the handle and the flange. You can use a tap spanner to remove the tap bonnet and the spindle assembly.
- Lubricate the tap bonnet, the o’ring and spindle assembly
- Reassemble the tap bonnet, flange, and the handle
- Ensure the tap is turned off
- Switch on the mains water supply and test.
Some leaks are not so simple and will require the services of a professional plumber or you may simply want expert help and this is where we come in.
At RPG Plumbing, we do not just fix the immediate problem but will look at other reasons that are causing the leakage. For example, you may be experiencing high water bills and have no idea why, or you can hear the sound of water dripping but have no idea where it is coming from. Our plumbers are trained to find the source of the water leak and fix it.
When it comes to how to fix a leaking tap, you can depend on us to ably fix the following:
- Mixer and Vanity Taps
- Shower and bath taps
- Toilet Taps and Valves
- Washing Machine and Laundry Taps
- Dishwasher Taps or Pipes
- Garden Hose Taps.
RPG Plumbing is committed to the supply, installation, repair, and maintenance of high products. You can call on us for:
- Tap installation around the home and the garden including appliances
- Installation of efficient shower heads and taps
- Tap repairs for dripping taps, leaking taps, appliances taps, and hose taps among others
- Tap replacement from conventional taps to modern taps or replacement of worn out taps.
Further, we employ superior workmanship that will see your taps working efficiently for a long time to come.