Dealing with Leaking Pipes at Home: A Leaking Pipe Guide
A leaking pipe is one of those common plumbing problems that can quickly turn into a disaster especially if you are not home.
A leaking pipe can be in one of two forms – leaking water coming into your home for use, or leaking wastewater that is leaving the house for the sewer. Both are potentially hazardous to your home and family.
Whether it is a continuous trickle or a forceful torrent, a lot of damage can come from a leaking pipe. Not only will you pay more in water bills but your property can end up being damaged because of a leaking pipe.
Causes of a leaking pipe
There are several factors that can cause a leaking pipe including:
- Worn out pipes or joints
- Corrosion of pipes
- Damage caused by renovations or digging up the backyard
- Expansion and contraction of the surrounding ground due to extreme temperatures
- Tree roots that interfere with underground pipes.
Signs of a leak
Some of the tell-tale signs of a leaking pipe include:
- Having a damp or musty smell
- Noticeably wet patches or growth of mould on walls, floors, and ceilings
- Abnormally high water bills
- The sound of ‘out of sight’ water dripping
- Water spots in your yard that don’t dry up
- If you have a pool or spa, you may notice that it needs frequent refilling.
What do you do with a leaking pipe?
Once you identify that there is a leaking pipe take the following steps:
- Step 1. Shut off the water supply at the mains. Check that you have water to use before repairs commence.
- Step 2. Avoid the temptation to go DIY on the pipes as you may end up making the problem worse.
- Step 3. Call a professional plumber and provide details of the leaking pipe.
What we do
At RPG Plumbing, we are passionate about our job and you will experience our commitment from the first call you make to when we complete the work.
Technological advances allow us to quickly identify leaking or burst pipes, find the cause and come up with solutions.
We understand that dealing with a leaking pipe at home can be stressful and that is why we are here for you. Brisbane residents can rely on us to solve the following problems:
- Burst pipes including burst mains water pipes
- Leaking pipes including cracked pipe repair
- Leaking or burst water units
- Faulty hot water systems values
- Leaking taps around the house and in the garden
- Leaking toilets
- Leaks in walls or cavities
- Leaking pipes in driveways or slabs
- Leaks from underground pipes.
RPG plumbers are licensed to carry out all types of plumbing work. We have years of experience in plumbing from fixing leaking pipes and taps to installing rainwater tanks, and unblocking drains.
Contact us today, we will have your leaking pipe fixed in no time.