How to Make Sure That Your Gas Hot Water System Lasts the Winter: Gas Hot Water Service Tips
Imagine going through the cold winter days with a faulty gas hot water service. Stressful right? So before that happens, get our tips on how to make sure your gas hot water system lasts the winter.
Keeping your gas hot water service in tip top condition is a must to prolong the lifespan of your hot water system.
It’s important to check your gas hot water service regularly, and get it professionally checked as part of a two yearly maintenance plan. This will ensure smaller issues are spotted before they become bigger and don’t turn into emergencies.
Gas Hot Water Service Maintenance
The main reason why we do maintenance is to double or even more than double the lifespan of your water heater. If it is maintained correctly, your gas hot water service can run for up to 10-20 years. It is wise to check your manufacturer’s guide for the recommended schedule for maintenance.
When it comes to plumbing and gas, it’s always best to leave it to a professional. An expert in gas hot water systems will check the following things:
- The sacrificial anode. Sacrificial anode hangs down inside your tank. It is a metal rod that is usually first to rust since it attracts impurities. This metal should be checked and replaced every five years or according to the recommendation of the manufacturer. If this is left unchecked, this can cause a lot of problems later on, and cost you a considerable amount of money.
- Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve. This valve vents out hot water when needed. That being said, it is the central part of a traditional storage tank system. A professional gas plumber will check this.
Signs That You Many Need Gas Hot Water Service Maintenance
- It is normal to get some fluctuation in delivery of hot water, but if this happens quite often, you should get your gas hot water service checked.
- Check for leakage and frequent venting of hot water.
- Call for immediate help if you smell gas. First, turn the system off. Then, check for flames or the possibility of one. Lastly, do not operate electrical switches, or mobile phones nearby.
If your gas hot water system is on the brink of no return, it inevitably will fail at the most inconvenient time. You can avoid this by knowing your appliance and with regular gas hot water service maintenance. Do not suffer from a cold shower in the middle of the winter.
If you are looking for a local expert to help with your gas hot water service contact RPG Plumbing today.